CALL to action
January 25th City of Culver City Council Meeting
For Agenda Item A-1 – UPDATE FROM THE CITY MANAGER’S OFFICE RELATED TO THE PUBLIC SAFETY REVIEW; (2) DISCUSSION OF FINDINGS AND RECOMMENDATIONS FROM PUBLIC SAFETY REVIEW CONSULTANTS; AND (3) DIRECTION TO THE CITY MANAGER AS DEEMED APPROPRIATE
- Support Solidarity Consulting Report, including its three pathways to reimagine public safety, assurances of accountability, and labor force and costs analysis.
- Build capacity outside of Culver City Police Department (CCPD), no new money, authority, or officers for the PD.
- Commit to forming a Public Safety committee to oversee implementation of recommendations.
- Oppose expansion of Mental Evaluation Team (MET) police co-response embedded within CCPD, move towards a CAHOOTS non-police crisis response model in collaboration with adjacent areas. Mobile crisis dispatch should be through Fire Department, not PD.
- CAHOOTS in Eugene, Oregon: https://whitebirdclinic.org/cahoots/
- Develop relationship with LA County Alternatives To Incarceration (ATI) and become a pilot program using Measure J funds.
- Require all affected departments: Police, Fire, Parks & Recreation, Public Works to include these recommendations in their 2021-22 work plans, to be presented in March.